The hospitality industry at the Coast is expected to post up to 50 per cent decline in 2014 annual performance, because there were few visitors.
The chairperson of a task force to revive tourism, Ms Lucy Karume, said many hotels were struggling. “Although we had a good turn up in December and July, the Coast is likely to post about 45-50 per cent decline in tourist arrivals,” she said.
Ms Karume spoke yesterday on the sidelines of the handover ceremony of a tourism recovery task force report to Cabinet Secretary Phyllis Kandie.
“I am, however, impressed that the task force has presented this report that we will work towards implementing,” said Ms Kandie.
According to Ms Karume, the industry has a very short window to effect recommendations suggested in the report.
“Six months have elapsed. We would like to present this report to the President soon, so he can give directions as to what needs to be done from here,” Ms Karume said.
She added that the government should start talks with countries that have not yet lifted travel advisories against Kenya to review them. “We hope to present the report to the President by March 13. It is very important that he gets the report soon.” In January last year, Ms Kandie formed a tourism recovery strategy committee to look into the issues facing the industry and provide recommendations on ways to turn around the fortunes.
The taskforce was gazetted in May and started work collecting information around the country.
The committee consists of the Kenya Association of Hotel Keepers and Caterers chairman Jaideep Vohra, chairman of Kenya Association of Tour Operators Adam Jillo and Kenya Tourism Board managing director Muriithi Ndegwa.
Source: Daily Nation
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of TradeMark Africa.